Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day 9: The Red Sea

Sorry for the delay in posts. I have been writing on my computer but unable to post due to our hotel's internet being down. Here is the post from our free day in Aqabah, before we started the dig.

I often forget about the vibrant life that remains unseen around us. The Red Sea was a perfect example of this. After grabbing a quick coffee at a local shop, a group of six of us hopped into two cabs and headed to the Royal Diving Club (a British run diving establishment in Jordan-- possible a throwback to Jordan's earlier times as a British mandate). Upon ariving, we learned that it cost 15 JD (1.40 USD = 1 JD) to enter for they day. Our entry included a locker, a towel and beach entry for the entire day. Most places cost 25 JD, so we managed to save a bit even with the cab ride. We got in and I began talking with one of the dive managers and learned that it cost 65 JD to go SCUBA diving, and if you paid, you got back your 15 JD entry-fee. Even better, the dive would count two dives toward your nine dive requirement for PADI diving certification (something that costs around 170-180 USD at home!). I couldn't pass up the opportunity to I signed up for a slot at 1:30 p.m.

After settteling on the beach, I immediately got my fins and one of the snorkel sets I brought withe me (I had brought three from home) and headed to the sea. What appeared calm above the water proved to be vibrant and astir with life below. Immediately upon lowering my mask into the clear, blue water, I saw a mass of fishs around me--zebra fish, angel fish, clown fish, and more. The coral reef stretched before me, and I followed it closely. Every turn awared me with a new, breathtaking site. I saw dormant snakes, eels, and cat fish type bottom feeders. All this, I hadn't even gone diving yet!

When my time to dive came around, I met my instructor and we went over the basics. After about 15 minutes of practice, we headed to the beach. We only went down around 5 meters, but the fish became larger and the sites became more beautiful. Coral like flowers exploded into my vision--blue, red and the most beautiful--yellow. I wish I could describe some of the fish that I saw, but the capacity to do so continues to escapes me. After 30 more minutes, we came up and my time was done. I wish I could have stayed down longer, but I was pleased with receiving two dive credits for my adventure.

What appeared calm (and, if I may admit, somewhat boring) on the surface, exploded with life only inches below the surface. If you will allow me, I will make a comparison with archaeology at this point. What may appear boring at the surface may only serve as a facade of the excitement that waits below. An entire world exists just under the surface--waiting to be discovered. Thanks for reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment